Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Thing #15 - What in the world is a wiki?

A wiki in my opinion is an interactive webpage. It was very easy to add information and change my information that was there. I liked viewing the wiki pages that were set up for classes. Although these pages were for high school, I can see how this might work for 6th graders. I often have parents tell me they can't help their child because they have forgotten the information or they weren't good at it themselves. And of course the students never take their textbooks home. I am planning on coming back and trying the challenge of creating my own wiki for my class when I have completed the rest of the Things. I am panicking on time at this point! I also want to take my time to think about what I want and set it up right where it will be useful for my students and parents. Another plus of a class wiki is that students who are absent aren't really if they use the class wiki to see what they missed that day. A class wiki will lend itself to more independent and individualized learning. Students who need review can review notes and visit links that could help them. Those who need more can have that too. I liked on the class wikis how they also link to the class blog. A wiki is going to be a great way to bring many of the pieces from Learning 2.0 together so they can be easily accessed and used.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

What a great idea to post assignments for absent students! All they have to do it click to get what they missed.