Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thing #14 - Go With the Flow



I first tried Gliffy to make a flow chart as seen above. This was very easy to use. My only concern with this online application is you are limited to 5 public document through the Gliffy Basic which is free. You can make private documents as well.
I then tried Flowchart (click to see chart - Flowchart). Now this online application does flowcharts as well as mindmaps. It has many choices in clipart to use which gives this a plus but I felt this was much more difficult to use.
Mindmeister I am not happy with. I got in and started a mind map but all it will allow me to do is put in the initial piece and it won't let me add. Trying to change colors to the font was also something difficult.
Bubbl.us I am having difficulty getting in. I have the flash player but it still won't let me in.
I don't really think that I would use any of these online flow charts and mind maps as we have Kidspiration and Inspiration on our computers in elementary and our students are used to using these programs. I feel it would waste time in the little that we have to go and teach them how to use similar online applications. I can see how middle and high school could use these online charts a lot. I even think that student who are working on a group project can share the mindmap and work out their project without even having to get together. Of course our school uses Thinking Maps and these applications can easily be used for students to create any Thinking Map for any given lesson.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the compliments and review of Gliffy. We have heard classrooms using Gliffy Org Charts with great success. Let us know what else you'd like to see to make Gliffy a better Mind-Mapping tool. Thanks again,
debik at gliffy dot com